So you might be asking…what is my passion? Well, you know that nagging feeling that you have when you leave the grocery store and you know that there was something you were supposed to get, or something that you were supposed to do, but you just can’t quite put your finger (or for that matter, your mind) on it? OK, well that might actually be a loaf of bread or your husband’s aftershave…but that feeling…that nagging feeling that there’s something you’re supposed to be doing – that is your passion. It might be a passion to pursue a career that you’ve always felt that you were destined to pursue, or a passion to travel to far and exotic places. It might be a passion to be a parent, or a passion to have the same body you had in your early twenties (hey, we can all dream), or a passion to climb Mt. Everest. You get the gist. Everyone has a passion. The hurdle is taking that first step towards making your passion a reality. I have listed some helpful tips that I hope will help you take that first leap of faith.
1. Define your passion. Write it down so that it becomes real to you. I’ve been aware of my passion to write since high school, but actually sitting down and putting it on paper made it tangible and palpable.
2. Again with the writing…but it really does help. Write out the steps that you need to take to accomplish your goals, or realize your passion. In my case, my passion is to write a novel someday. I’m not quite ready for that, and that’s okay. I’m taking steps, and my first was this blog. Your first step, big or small, will be determined by the goals that you set.
3. Keep your eye on the prize. I have a friend who has a picture of herself, taken many years ago, in a bikini that she boldly displays on her refrigerator. Now, for obvious reasons, this picture serves to remind her that 1. she doesn’t really want that Death by Chocolate ice cream in the freezer, and 2. what she hopes to accomplish by continuing to work towards her goal. Visual motivations are huge, so put something up to remind you of your passion…stick a photo on a wall or add a picture to the wallpaper screen of your phone. Whatever it takes.
4. Share your passion with others, and seek their encouragement. Anyone that knows me well is aware of my passion for writing, and they give me a lot of support towards achieving my goals. Share your goals with others and ask for support, if necessary. More often than not, they will, in turn, share their passion and goals with you, and before you know it, you’ve got a little support-group-thingy going on. Encouraging words from others, and to others, works wonders for the soul.
5. Most importantly, don’t give up. Even small strides towards your passion has tremendous benefits. You’re making progress, and that’s what counts. And, because I’m big on motivational quotes, I’ll leave you with one of my favorites:
It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~George Eliot